Coding... Where to Start?
ALL high–level languages are based on the same three simple constructs:
- Sequence (doing one thing after another, in order)
- Selection (making a choice)
- Iteration (repeating instructions)
Whichever language you choose, the underlying logic is the same. The rest is all about what you want to program. If you are a beginner, just pick one that you have heard of or like the sound of. You can always learn another one later! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Python – Very popular language. Used widely in social media sites, finance & AI. Not for mobile apps.
- Java – Popular OG language. Used extensively in Android OS.
- C# – Microsoft’s evolution of C++. Used in all Windows based applications.
- VB.net – Another Microsoft language. Not widely used these days, but good for beginners. Form based interface & very forgiving!
- PHP – Another web dev essential - PHP scripts run on a web server, allowing dynamic web content.
- Swift– Developed by Apple to build applications for MacOS and iOS.
- Go – Developed by Google for system level programming & big data apps such as Netflix, Twitch & Uber.
Coding Tutorials & Resources
The links below are a selection of coding resources to help you develop your coding skills, whether you are a total n00b or a veteran programmer.